23 Things Cambridge

Monday 5 July 2010

Blogging free

Worth adding some reflections on blogging in general, methinks, before ticking off more 'Things'. I set this up using Blogger, as suggested, giving me the chance to try out a different blogging tool. We use WordPress for news on the College website: http://www.wolfson.cam.ac.uk/ (with separate categories for the local homepage and Library, each displaying on the respective pages) where I add and edit most of the content. The setting up, including the linking to the 3 HTML pages was done by the webmaster, so I've always felt like the end-user without any real understanding of what's going on underneath, but I have regular contact with the interface and am glad of the opportunity for comparison.

Despite being so slow to date, I can see the real potential of a blog as a reflective tool, and was highly enthused after first setting this up to establish one for my CPD activities. When I've caught up a bit more here, I'll be thinking more carefully about which tool to use (at the moment I'm slightly inclining towards WordPress, but the jury's still out...), and about how far I would want to publicise the site. One of my frustrations with WordPress on the Wolfson site at the moment is the very limited way it can display images, but that I think is to do with the amount of space afforded to the feeds on the HTML pages. Working with the blogging software in full screen mode will hopefully allow more flexibility.

Finding this blog! Now that I've created a feed to 'My Cam23 Diary' on my iGoogle page, I trust it'll be easier to hop to it than I've managed so far. Previously I was having to open (yet another) new tab in Firefox to get to it (the really bad moment was when I ended up doing a Google search for it!).

For my next blog post I'm going to try writing it in Word and uploading the post from there. I came upon the instructions for doing that by accident the other day, while looking for something else. One advantage is that it will create a copy of the post on the server (worth thinking of if I want to create a blog archive for portfolio purposes, perhaps?), but the other side of that coin, of course, is that the offline archive copy is stored in one place, and not accessible from elsewhere, except if downloaded to a flashdrive, etc.

1 comment:

  1. "Finding this blog! Now that I've created a feed to 'My Cam23 Diary' on my iGoogle page, I trust it'll be easier to hop to it than I've managed so far. Previously I was having to open (yet another) new tab in Firefox to get to it (the really bad moment was when I ended up doing a Google search for it!)."

    This happened to me too! It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how to create a separate box for my blog too (rather than just adding it to the reader). I still haven't quite joined up all the tabs A into slots B yet...

    ReplyDelete