23 Things Cambridge

Monday 21 June 2010

Tail chasing...

I knew it was a while since my last post, but I'm alarmed to see that it's a whole 17 days since I uploaded that photo of the Lee Library entrance I'm inexplicably proud of (well, if you'd seen our family's photographic record that would go some way to explaining it!), and thus that I've had the nagging voice in my head reminding me to acknowledge that the picture appearing to the left in the draft actually appears above the accompanying text in the published blog post. (Further note to self: investigate changing proportions of blog layout.)

Of course, all that was going to be taken care of on that mythical future day after the end of term when I would set aside sufficient hours to catch up with all the 'Things' outstanding, and reflect calmly and intelligently on each in turn before typing a well-crafted blog post on each. Equally obviously, term has ended, and there is no prospect of such a day in sight. How could there be? Such lacunae of time do not exist, and I doubt I'd want to be a librarian if that's how the life was.

One of the harshest lessons this project might actually help me to learn is that 'a little and often' is more important, and perhaps ultimately more useful, than a long session devoted to getting it all done in one go. This is counterintuitive for me, and something I've battled with in other contexts. Having the confidence to comment 'on the hoof' feels uncomfortable, but I do recognise that it's necessary if I'm ever going to embrace Web 2.0 in a practical and really useful way, rather than in an abstract and intellectual one.

So, please bear with me during these bumpy early days. More anon, when I'll finally get on to Thing 3 and share a screenshot of my iGoogle page in the state it's reached to date (there's more to do, of course...).

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about having to change habits - I also keep imagining some mythical time when I'll be able to devote some real attention to the Things without interruption but actually that's never going to happen.

    And you're right to be proud, it's a lovely picture!\

    Celine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on keeping going! Yes, I have been waiting for that wonderful time after the end of tem when there will be oodles of time to do things... (Not sure where that went, but there's now no time at all!). Good luck with iGoogle - I've had plenty of help near at hand, because Helen is great at all these Web 2.0 things. I couldn't have done it otherwise!

    ReplyDelete